Friday 17 February 2012

Kate del Castillo talks about her role in K-11


A smash hit when it debuted on Telemundo in 2011, the thrilling edge-of-your-seat telenovela La Reina del Sur (The Queen of the South) is set to debut all 63 episodes on mun2 for a whole new generation of fans starting February 19th at 8/7 c pm with Episode 1.01.


The story of La Reina transfixed audiences across the U.S. and the globe last year, telling the story of Teresa Mendoza (Kate del Castillo), a humble young woman from Sinaloa, who sees her life take a drastic turn when she falls in love with the wrong man, the handsome El Güero Avila (Rafael Amaya). El Güero was a Chicano pilot from San Antonio, TX involved in drug trafficking for the powerful drug lord, Epifanio Vargas (Humberto Zurita). Together, they go on the run, and in the process, Teresa is set on one of the most exhilarating adventures in modern day television.

We recently caught up with international superstar Kate del Castillo to chat with her about the return of La Reina del Sur (which is based upon Arturo Pérez-Reverte's global bestseller of the same name) and her alter ego Teresa Mendoza.


Was it the storyline about the lesbian prison relationship that pushed you in the direction of K-11? You play Mousey, a trans-gender in that film, right?

Kate del Castillo: Yes. I have been very fortunate in my life. I think I have an angel that is always with me. Good projects always come to me. Some of them I seek out. However it works, I always say, "What's yours is yours. No one can take it from you." That's how it worked for La Reina del Sur. With K-11? That was something I'd never thought of doing. When I read it, I said, "This is a great script. But what do you want me to do? I don't get it." I felt Jules Mann-Stewart, who is Kristen Stewart's mother by the way...She is the writer and the director, and I loved that she cast me as a trans-gender in a man's jail...It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, to play something like that, that is so far removed from who you are. Mousey is a man that wants to be a woman. So it's a little crooked. It's a little twisted in my head. And I loved it. I did all of the research with an amazing number of people. Once again, my job, my profession...It has given me a lot more info, and I feel like I learned a lot about it. I am very happy with that movie.

Please go to Movieweb for Kate's full interview. It's a great interview. 

No comments:

Post a Comment